The Indonesian Pearling Industries
For about 400 hundred year, pearls and pearl shells have been the most excellent items which have achieved the outside world from the numerous islands of the Indonesian Archipelago.
DEVELOPMENT PEARL CULTIVATION IN INDONESIA
- The trial tests of pearl society in Indonesia began in Buton, Southeast Sulawesi as from 1921 by a gathering of Japanese specialists drove by Dr. M. Fujita, a main analyst in pearl development.
- The endeavor was financed by the Mitsubishi Corporation from Japan. The test society was utilizing the Golden Pearl Oyster (Pinctada Maxima Jameson) gathered from the Arafura Sea, particularly around the Aru Islands Group.
- Following seven years of experimentation, the test culture at last succeeded in delivering adjusted pearls with alluring hues and brilliance.
- From there on, the patron, Mitsubishi Corporation, set up the South Sea Pearl Corp. Ltd. (Nanyo Shinju Kabushiki Kaisha) which was working the pearl cultivating business. The operation finished in 1941 because of the World War II.
- In 1958, the trial test exercises for pearl society were continued by Indonesian specialists and specialists from the Indonesian Center for Marine Fishery.
- The endeavors were then proceeded by the Indonesian Research Center for Marine Fishery as from 1962.
- The trial tests for pearl society of Pinctada Margaritifera were directed in the Gulf of Jakarta and in Semayang Island, Riau Islands Group.
- The Research Center likewise tried the pearl society of Pinctada Lentiginosa in the Kalabahi Gulf, Alor, East Nusa Tenggara.
- The tests did not turn out as ex-pected. As from 1960, pearl society exercises were begun utilizing wild Pinctada Maxima clams gathered from their regular living space.
- From 1990s onwards, pearl cultivating began utilizing grown-up clams raised from incubation centers.